Bandicoot rats are present in southern Asia, China, and Bangladesh mostly. All bandicoot rats species belongs to family Muridae. They are longer than normal bandicoot have a short tail and up to 40 cm including tails, they are the dangerous one and not real bandicoots. They are major pests of rice fields and prove dangerous for human health.people who are eating more bandicoot rats are more prone to diseases of cancers but this problem is not in North America.
Make sure that people who eat bandicoots that are free from the contagious body. They spread many common diseases e.g Salmonella, E.coli, tuberculosis, and Weil’s diseases and also cause many allergic reactions that are showing the sudden reaction in the body in those countries where people eat this types of rats without knowing their nutritional facts. Bandicoot rats have many types are discussed here.
Greater Bandicoot Rats
This species found in China, India, Bangladesh, and Thailand their weight is 0.5 to 1 kg and has length 27-29 cm and tails can grow up to 28cm. Greater bandicoot rat is the grey blackish color with little soft fur its sides are black and upper part is light grey in color.it reaches sexual maturity after one-year lifespan and able to produce more species. It has very aggressive behavior and fights with others sometimes kill during the fighting.
Lesser Bandicoot Rats
Lesser bandicoot rat is a rodent it lives in South Asia it can grow up to 40 centimeters long it is a rat but is not in the genus Rattus. They may be a pass to cereal crops and gardens in India and Sri Lanka. It is usually lighter or darker grey on the belly side ventrally the length of their body is about 25 centimeters and the tail is shorter than the body. Present in rice houses and has aggressive behavior remains active at night and collect food for yourself. They are very aggressive many see them as a threat to infants babies packs of lesser bandicoot rat.
Short-Tailed Bandicoot or pest Rat
It is nearly similar to lesser bandicoot rats present in northern areas and extends from northern Bangladesh to northeastern Egypt.it makes extensive tunnels where they enter and exit for their survival. Short-tailed bandicoot or pest rat is excellent swimmer and lives in marshes that are natural.
Prevention for bandicoot Rats
- Bandicoot rats are not present everywhere or every home they live in mostly Australia or Northern sites they are similar to rats if they come in houses of gardens then how we prevent them
- Close all holes of windows, doors, and washrooms where they have no chance to enter the home.
- Use poisoning material to get rid of these species.
- Use soda for prevention of that’s the rat.
- Use ammonia, put some ammonia on the hole of rats where they live when they smell.
- Try to keep away favorite food products like meat, frozen food items, or fruits.
- It famous that cat urine is very effective for prevention of bandicoot rats.